So having been given this laptop from a work colleague. Upon powering on the laptop, you were greeted by a BIOS password.
After much internet searching a solution was found – Flash the BIOS in recover mode
You will need to
- Unplug and remove the battery.
- The latest BIOS for the laptop.
- Extract and rename the BIOS .bin file, bios.fd.
- Copy the BIOS file to a FAT formatted pen drive.
- Insert the pen drive and prepare to power on the laptop
- First hold Fn+Esc.
- Whilst still holding those keys plugin the power supply.
- The screen will remain blank and the pen drive should start flickering, indicating activity.
- Once the laptop start emitting beeps. It will do this for about a minute. What ever you do, DO NOT turn off or unplug the laptop at this point!
- It will automatically reboot once the flashing process is complete.
- Now the laptop BIOS password is no more.
Oh great, there is another password on the HDD. Back to the internet… – HDD password unlock code
- Power on the laptop.
- Select the secure drive.
- Enter a password, anything will do.
- Repeat steps 2-3 two more times.
- A new option to unlock the drive appears, select it.
- You will be greeted by another message, along with a ‘key’
- Using another internet connected device.
- Enter this key into box on http://www.allservice.ro/acer/.
- Now click compute.
- Now there is another 8 digit code, type it in on the laptop and press enter.
- Congratulations, your laptop is now booting.
Welcome to Windows, please enter your password… Not again! – Sticky keys to the rescue (Ewww?)